Search

20 Feb 2026

TII urged to discuss controversial Kildare cycleway project with councillors

A TD representing South Kildare previously claimed that there have been ‘about 90 incidents’ on the cycle lane since it appeared ‘seemingly out of nowhere’

TII urged to discuss controversial Kildare cycleway project with councillors

ABOVE: File photograph showing a protest against the project. The protest was held last year.

The submission of an emergency motion at a recent Kildare County Council (KCC) meeting saw councillors express their frustration over a controversial cycleway project.

The outcry follows after a road safety audit raised concerns last week about vehicle speeds and layout issues on the R448 between Timolin and Moone in South Kildare (It should be noted that KCC has always insisted the €1.6m pilot project, which has been funded by Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII), went through a full public consultation process).

The motion was submitted at the latest Athy Municipal District meeting, which took place on Monday, February 16 last, by Labour Party Cllr Aoife Breslin.

Specifically, Cllr Breslin wanted KCC to request a meeting with TII in order to discuss the scheme. Her motion was seconded by Fianna Fáil Cllr Brian Dooley.

Cllr Breslin opened by calling the scheme "a pilot [scheme] with no pilot".

She also said: "KCC and public representatives are taking the flack, but really, we have no onus over it."

Cllr Breslin also alleged that over 90 accidents have been reported in the region, a claim which was previously echoed by her party colleague, Deputy Mark Wall, while he was speaking in Dáil Éireann.

"We have been left in the dark", she added.

'IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH'

Furthermore, she went on to claim: "We have been handed a scheme from people in Dublin who have been unelected; this is undemocratic.

"The community does not want this scheme, it's not good enough!"

Cllr Breslin also suggested: "TII needs to come down here and go through it [with us]."

She then demanded: "I want a meeting with them within the next 10 days."

Her sentiments were echoed by another Labour Party colleague, Cllr Mark Leigh, who said: "This scheme is clearly a failed one."

Following this, Fianna Fáil Cllr Veralouise Behan, who appeared at the meeting by virtual means, said that she agreed with her fellow representatives' comments.

She also agreed with Cllr Leigh's assertion that it is "a failed scheme" and emphasised one line from the safety audit which read as follows: "Vulnerable road users are exposed to increased risk, including slips and falls".

READ NEXT: Bus stop between Newbridge and Naas is ‘a mud bath’, Kildare County Council is told

'YOU WOULDN'T GET THE LIKES OF THIS IN DUBLIN'

Her party colleague, Cllr Dooley, also claimed: "You wouldn't get the likes of this in Dublin, which has a large number of cyclists."

"Two million euro has gone down the swanny!" he added.

Cllr Dooley also emphasised to KCC: "I am seeking the removal of this scheme in its entirety; it is an unsafe scheme."

After he finished speaking, the Mayor of the MD, Fine Gael Cllr Ivan Keatley, proceeded to give his view on the situation.

He began by saying that he "absolutely" concurred with the statements from his fellow councillors.

"What has gotten lost here is the voice of the community," he claimed. "And ironically, in certain parts of the report, it is seeking for some areas to be narrowed, instead of widened!"

Mayor Keatley then pointed out that some members of the Moone Timolin Positive Action Group were present in the public gallery, and thanked them for their attendance.

After this, he went on to say: "My priority is to not be here next month and be talking about another 20 or 30 accidents."

He added: "There are a number of emergency works that need to be done [but] TII are not listening."

READ NEXT: School zone sought for one South Kildare region

KCC'S VIEWPOINT

A representative of KCC who was also present at the meeting, Mark McLoughlin, also spoke up, and noted that a road safety audit is standard practice for schemes such as the Moone-Timolin project.

Mr McLoughlin went on to inform the members that KCC had a meeting with TII last week, and assured them that TII is "drawing up amendments" to the scheme.

He also said that "the main works will likely be carried out in March".

Mr McLoughlin continued: "From KCC's perspective, in this case, we would like a special speed limit [to be implemented] in the long term."

When it came to the projected timescale of the project, he said that he could not comment on it, as this was "a matter for TII".

And when he emphasised to the attendees that the project is a pilot scheme, this prompted Cllr Breslin to interject with the following: "There is no pilot with it."

Mayor Keatley also said in response to Mr McLoughlin's comments: "It's all well and good to put a speed limit in place, but TII needs to be informed about it.

"Also, one thing that is not clear in the audit is the issue of lighting in the area.

'INCREDULOUS'

He added: "It's incredulous that I raised this matter about 15 years ago, and 15 years later, we still haven't gotten lighting here! The junction needs to be lit."

Mayor Keatley continued: "We need to know the cost of taking out the scheme and the impact it will have on the community."

He also revealed that the he has been worrying so much about the project and its impact that he has been "lying in bed, afraid, at night".

Mayor Keatley concluded by saying: "A safety audit, in my mind, should be just a few minor tweaks. Glas [the contractor] and TII need to make this route safe"

Cllr Breslin then entered the discussion again and reiterated the claim about there being over 90 accidents reported on the scheme — "And some may not have even been reported," Cllr Breslin added.

She also said: "I find it disrespectful hat TII haven't come before us, or met with the local community once [to discuss this issue]."

Cllr Breslin then asserted: "If they do not come before us within the next two weeks, then I will meet with them, even it means going down to their headquarters" (this sentiment was also supported by Cllr Behan).

After these comments were made, Cllr Dooley remarked: "We have lost complete confidence in TII, and I think it's fair to say that TII is at their wit's end with this too."

Mr McLoughlin stepped back in to say: "We have asked the consultant to place temporary traffic cones out there, and lighting will be looked at."

"The costing needs to be highlighted too," Mayor Keatley responded.

Following a brief discussion, it was agreed that KCC would send a letter to TII to request a meeting with the organisation.

Labour Party Cllr Aoife Breslin submitted the emergency motion. Photograph credit: kildarecoco.ie

READ NEXT: Kildare County Council vows to target drains in badly affected areas

Funded by Local Democracy Reporting Scheme.

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.