Fergus Carpenter, Labour
Name: Fergus Carpenter
Address: 120 Sallins Bridge
Occupation: Principal Teacher
Why am I running?
I’m running in the local elections because I’ve been involved in community activism for the last six years, have learned how the system works, have had considerable success in getting changes implemented and now I want to try improve my community by working from ‘the inside’.
Why should people vote for me?
I have a clear set of values and vision based on wanting to create communities that are safe, that provide affordable housing for all its citizens and which encourage sports, leisure and cultural activities that benefit our physical and mental health. I was the only candidate in this District who actively campaigned for a YES vote in both the Marriage Equality and Repeal the 8th referendums.
I will be campaigning to:
* Ease traffic congestion and create safe walking and cycling environments;
* Provide high quality playgrounds, sports, arts and youth facilities;
* Provide for the housing needs of all our citizens;
* Naas town;
* Improve KCC’s awareness of disability issues and commitment to facilitating full participation by all citizens;
* An Ghaeilge a chur chun cinn (is mise an t-aon iarrthóir sa cheantar a bhfuil Gaeilge aige agus is Cathaoirleach Sult na Sollán mé);
* Commit KCC to meaningful action on combatting Climate Change;
* Ensure that the Council support voluntary and community groups in their vital work;
* Maintain our roads.
It is currently too difficult to source information in relation to plans, activities and meetings of Kildare County Council. If elected, I commit to keeping you informed about changes that are envisaged for your area so that you can have your say.