Naas Town Hall history is reprinted

Naas Town Hall.    Photo Tony Keane.
A Naas history book has been reprinted and is set to raise more money.

A Naas history book has been reprinted and is set to raise more money.

Local historian Mick Mulvey’s book has already generated €2,500 for the Jack & Jill Foundation and its reprinting is timely.

“The Story of Naas Town Hall” charts the history of arguably the town’s most imposing building which originally dates back to Norman times. At least six castles were built in Naas and one of these was White’s Castle, built on the town hall site. White’s Castle was pulled down in 1792 and a jail was built on the site. This jail was prominent during the 1798 rebellion when it was used to defend the town against the local rebels led by local farmer and patriot Michael Reynolds.

Soldiers of the Armagh Militia and the North Naas Brigade repulsed the rebels on May 24 1798.

The building continued to be used as a jail until 1858 when it was bought by the Town Commissioners (the forerunners of the town council) from the then Grand Jury. Since then it has been the effective political and administration centre for the town.

The book is littered with old pictures including one of the building in 1904 - thought to be one of the oldest photographs of any part of the town so far discovered. The building was rebuilt in 1904. Copies of the book can be had by contacting 087-2764264.