Newbridge man abducted and assaulted on way to court

Warrant issued for his arrest after he failed to show

Leader Reporter


Leader Reporter


Newbridge man abducted and assaulted on way to court

The man eventually appeared at Naas Courthouse later yesterday afternoon.

A Newbridge man appeared in Naas District Court with a cut over his eyebrow and claimed his had missed his court appearances earlier in the day because he had been abducted and assaulted as he was leaving to come to court.

Mark White, 31, with an address listed as 1613 Pairc Mhuire, Newbridge was charged with possession of a penknife on August 5 last at Cutlery Road, Newbridge and he had initially appeared in court on February 22 last.

He pleaded guilty on that occasion and Judge Desmond Zaidan had instructed the Probation Service to assess him for community service in lieu of eight months in custody.

The matter was then adjourned to yesterday morning. However when the case was called just after 11.30am, Mr White was not present in court and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

After 4pm yesterday however, he turned up, looking the worse for wear, with what appeared to be bruising on his neck and a cut over his right eyebrow.

“He was attacked earlier today as he was leaving Newbridge to come to court,” solicitor David Gibbons told the court. “He was abducted, but he has managed to make his way to court under his own steam to tell you himself.”

Barrister Aisling Murphy told Judge Desmond Zaidan that Mr White was due to enter rehab in the coming days, to deal with a drug problem he has had.

In the meantime, Probation Officer Dermot Lavin told the court that Mr White was not suitable for community service, although he was open to the possibility that that position might change depending on the outcome of his stint in rehab. 

Mark White has 56 previous convictions and had served the four year sentence for an assault. At his previous court appearance, Mr White had told Judge Zaidan that after he had completed a four year prison sentence he had changed and had cut himself off from his previous friends. Mr White assured the court he had addressed his anger management issues.

“I have changed. I made a lot of mistakes. When I was in the Garda Station it the was the first time since I was released from prison (several years ago) and hopefully my last."

The matter was adjourned to a date in July.