Kildare rugby star Jamie Heaslip with Saoirse Moore (5), at the launch of the 2017 Goal Miles
Naas rugby star Jamie Heaslip is backing this year’s annual fundraising fun runs for aid charity Goal.
The traditional Goal Miles take part on Christmas morning or St Stephen’s Day, and are now a firmly-established part of many families’ festive traditions.
There are 13 Goal Miles taking place in Kildare and West Wicklow around Christmas and New Year’s. Those taking part walk, jog or run a mile, and donate what they can to help the charity’s work.
Now in its 36th year, the GOAL Miles regularly attract tens of thousands of participants each year. More than 130 Miles will be held across the country over the festive period.
“Anyone, no matter their age or fitness level, can take part in a Goal Mile, but the individual events become very special when lots of children participate,” said Jamie. “Not only are young boys and girls exercising and having fun, but they are also learning about - and helping - children in other parts of the world who may be suffering because of hunger, disease or conflict.”
Details of the local Goal Miles are as follows:
• At Manzor’s Car Park, Clane, on St Stephen’s Day from 10am-1pm;
• At Carton House Golf Courtyard, Maynooth, at Christmas Day at 12pm;
• At St Catherine’s Park, Leixlip on St Stephen’s Day from from 11am-12pm;
• At Naas GAA Club, Sallins Road, on Christmas Day from 11am-12noon;
• At Castletown House, Celbridge, on St. Stephen’s Day from 11am-12pm;
• At St. Conleth’s Community College, Station Road on Christmas Day from 11am-1pm;
• At Le Cheile Athletic Club, Leixlip, on Christmas Day from 10am-Midday;
• At Bishopland, Ballymore Eustace on Christmas Day from 10.30-11.30am;
• At Tadgh Downey Park (Cappagh GAA and Camogie Clubs) on Christmas Day from 12-12:30pm;
• At Kingslane, Kilteel on St Stephen’s Day from 10:30am-12pm;
• At Clogherinkoe/Broadford GAA on St Stephen’s Day from 11am-12pm;
• At Johnstown Bridge GAA Grounds, Enfield, on Christmas Day from 11am-12.30pm.
• At Blessington Community College, on Christmas Day from 12.15pm-1pm.