Moone take out the league champions

Moone Celtic march on to another semi as the defeated League champions Newbridge Town in this enthralling cup affair in Fortfield Park on Saturday last, writes Pat McNally.

Moone Celtic march on to another semi as the defeated League champions Newbridge Town in this enthralling cup affair in Fortfield Park on Saturday last, writes Pat McNally.

KDUL Under 14 Cup Quarter Final

Moone Celtic: 2

Newbridge Town: 0

Moone Celtic now advance to meet Rathangan in the Semi final of the cup. Already in the All Ireland Cup semi Final Moone certainly looked the part as they not only contained a fancied Newbridge Town team but scored two cracking goals.

Newbridge had come into this game with a slight advantage as they had trounced Moone in the last league match , however Moone had won out on penalties in the SFAI Cup game.

It was twelve mintes before either keeper was called into action as David Craddock the Newbridge Town ‘keeper made a great save from Mark Lawler as a defender slipped at the back and gifted Lawler an excellent opportunity.

The game was being played mostly in midfield with Mark Glynn and Daniel Kelly in opposition to Kevin Byrne and Josh Francis. If either team made any progress it was cleared by Cormac O’Mahony at the back for Newbridge and Josh Miller commander in chief at the back for Moone Celtic.

With half time approaching a long free kick by Josh Miller was launched into the box and with the Town ‘keeper gone awol Mark Glynn gleefully accepted the ‘gift’ and headed home for the opening goal.

In the second half Newbridge Town pushed forward but the Moone defence in which Dylan Kennedy, David Lambe Josh Miller and Mark McGinley when introduced were capable of handling everything that Newbridge could throw at them.

Mark Jackson the Moone ‘keeper was rarely tested and he had a morning in the sun with little to do.

Moone were unfortunate not to go further ahead when a corner kick was headed out by Cormac O’Mahony to the feet of Dylan Kennedy on the edge of the box and his well struck shot looked goalbound until ‘keeper Craddock brought off a majestic save to keep Town in the game.

Jsmaes Byrne showed in a flash why he cannot be left unattended as he sneaked in behind the defence to smash a shot goal bound but fortunately for Moone it was a fraction too high. The referee blew for offside but one is sure that there would have been plenty of complaints had the ball entered the Moone net.

Once again it was the battle in midfield that entertained the big crowd on a glorious spring morning.

Both defences were on tender hooks as the next goal was going to be the deciding moment.

The game was eventually decided in the 27th minute of the second half when Mark Glynn chipped an inch perfect pass to his friend Oran Bergin who controlled the ball with his right and hit the ball majestically in the top corner with his left foot. People will talk of Crouche’s goal over the weekend but this goal was every bit as good and showed unbelievable talent from Oran Bergin with his control and vision.

It was goal fit to win any game and Newbridge were deflated and in the remaining minutes were unable to test the home defence and so Moone Celtic advance to another Cup semi Final in what has turned out to be a fabulous season for this team.

Players who stood out for Newbridge were Cormac O’Mahony David Craddock and the hard working Josh Francis while Moone had stars in Josh Miller, Mark Glynn Dylan Kennedy and the majestic Oran Bergin who deserves the man of the match for what is probably goal of the season

Newbridge Town:

D Craddock, D Shalvey, E Kavanagh, E Donnelly, J Francis, K Byrne, J McGrath, T Tobin C O Mahony. Subs: S Browne, G Maher

Moone Celtic:

M Jackson, P Huntingdon, D Kennedy, J Miller, D Lambe, M Glynn, E Stephenson, D Kelly, M Lawlor, C O’Sullivan, M Lidierth. Subs: O Bergin, L Kerins, E Doran, S Coyne, M McGinley, K Farrell.