Town hang on to advance

These two Major Division One teams played a very entertaining game on Friday night under the lights on Station Road.

These two Major Division One teams played a very entertaining game on Friday night under the lights on Station Road.

Allenwood, although drawn at home, had to give up home advantage as they are getting work done on their pitch.

Allenwood have had the upper hand in their league encounters so far this season as they have won one and drawn one.

However the home advantage paid dividends to Newbridge Town on Friday night as they raced into a two-goal lead and with Allenwood scoring late in the game Newbridge had to hang on as Allenwood threw everybody forward in search of an equaliser.

The game started with both teams showing that they had put attack before defence.

First up it was Jamie Nolan who had a great run through the Town defence only to see Dean Byrne put in a great tackle to prevent a goal. The ball was swiftly passed down to Dylan Burke who beat the Allenwood defence but with keeper Sean Moran advancing his first time shot was only inches wide.

Adam Donegahn caused all sorts of problems for the Town defence as his well-hit free kick was bouncing around the penalty spot until the Town defence got the ball clear.

After 20 minutes Darren Judge had good effort go narrowly wide but Newbridge were not without their chances as Brandon Day had a great shot from twenty-five yards go narrowly over.

Fionn Moran of Allenwood came to their rescue as Jamie Mitchell took on the Allenwood defence and his pace and trickery took him beyond the last man but just as he appeared to score up popped Moran to deny him the chance.

Half time came with the sides all-square

In the first minute of the second half Town went in front when Matthew Sheridan hit a ball high over the head of ‘keeper Moran.

Before Allenwood could catch their breath Town went further in front via Dylan Burke.

Allenwood never gave up and in fact their football deserved more.

Eventually Allenwood pulled a goal back through Adam Nolan who converted a cross by Stephen Leavey.

Allenwood continued to play their passing game and went close on a number of occasions.

With time running out Allenwood threw more and more men forward and had a great opportunity in the final minute but Jamie Nolan was unable to get the ball under control and James Ebbs the Town ‘keeper made sure as he cleared the ball.

And so ended Allen wood’s final chance. Newbridge advance to the next round of the cup where they will have a difficult game against Naas Premier side while Allenwood will fancy their chances in the Shield.

In what proved to be a good game on a cold evening Allenwood had stars in Adam Nolan, Darren Judge, Colm Moran and Stephen Leavy while Newbridge Town can be thankful to Dylan Burke Brandon Day and Dean Byrne

Allenwood Celtic:

S Moran, F Moran, C Bagnall, C Moran, J Wyse, J Stehman, B B Whelan, D Judge, A Nolan,M Byrne, J Nolan. Subs: A Doneghan, S Leavey, E Bagnall, E Dunne, C Carroll.

Newbridge Town:

J Ebbs, E Mc Donald, J Parnell, D Byrne, A Kelly, S Philips, J Mitchell, J Mc Namara, B Day, D Burke, M Sheridan. Subs: R Moen, E Boland, S Doran, K Myres.