Naas United remain mid table

Naas United consolidated their Spar Moorefield Masters Division 2 mid-table position when they overcame a determined Rathangan side at Donnelly Mirrors on Saturday last.

Naas United consolidated their Spar Moorefield Masters Division 2 mid-table position when they overcame a determined Rathangan side at Donnelly Mirrors on Saturday last.

Spar moorefield Masters Division 2

Naas United: 3

Rathangan AFC: 1

The home side were very slow to get out of the blocks against a dogged Rathangan side who looked more up for it in the early stages. United recently reached the Masters Cup semi final stage where they will face Woodstock in the coming weeks. So it was a surprise to see them start so flat. Rathangan took the lead on seven minutes when a long range effort slipped from the grasp of Fergie Burke in goal and straight into the path of Rathangan’s Nigel Taylor who forced the ball home from close range.

This seemed to wake the home side up and they started to play abit more aggressively and Paul Murphy and Kevin Harrington went close with efforts. Michael Fennessy was another player who almost levelled the scores but saw his header saved well by John Lyster in the visitors goal.

The visitors were not about to relinquish their slender lead too easily and started to pressurise but found Shane Cahill and Joe o Brien in good form in the full back positions along with Martin Murphy in defence.

The equaliser finally arrived on 28 minutes when Paul Murphy struck from all of 40 yards and saw the ball arrow into the top corner leaving ‘keeper Lyster standed.

The influential Eoin Giblin came on to replace the injured Henry Drewitt just before the break and immediately started to make an impression however the score remained 1-1 to the break.

The second half began brightly for the home and Giblin set up Harrington who forced a good save from Lyster after five minutes. A strong defensive display from the home side meant that all they needed to do was get in front to give themselves a good chance of another three points and in the 55th minute they did just that when Mark Kinsella reacted quickest to Bob Cahill’s cross to finish well and give his side a 2-1 lead.

From then Naas began to take control with Gary Houlihan doing well out wide and Paul Murphy controlling midfield. It looked like the scoring was over and United were going to just see out the game however some great defensive play by Joe O’Brien freed Michael Fennessy who in turn flicked the ball to Declan Lackey, Lackey turned and ran at the defence before smashing a shot into the bottom corner from 25 yards out with five minutes remaining on the clock to leave the final score 3-1 in favour of the home side.

A deserved win in the end for Naas but only after they rallied together to come from a goal down. Best for the winners were Bob Cahill in defence and Eoin Giblin and Michael Fennessy in midfield. While John Dempsey in defence, Ken Johnson in midfield and Ned O’Loughlin up front tried best for a determined Rathangan.

Naas United:

Fergie Burke, Bob Cahill, Joe O’Brien, Henry Drewitt, Martin Murphy, Paul Murphy, James Burke, Eric Giblin, Michael Fennessy, Kevin Harrington, Gary Houlihan, David Behan, Eoin Giblin, Mark Kinsella, Declan Lackey.

Rathangan AFC:

John Lyster, Alan Kenny, Colm Flanaghan, John Dempsey, Declan Meehan, Ken Johnson, Joe Kearns, John W.Dempsey, Ned O Loughlin, Nigel Taylor, Mark Mullally, Michael Kenny, Keith Barton, Anthony Moloney, Ray Whelan, Jimmy Feeney.


Eric McCann.