Kinnegad Juniors come out on top

Kinnegad Juniors came out on top in this KDFL Under 19 League tie on Saturday when they defeated Kilcock Celtic and were made fight all the way.

Kinnegad Juniors came out on top in this KDFL Under 19 League tie on Saturday when they defeated Kilcock Celtic and were made fight all the way.

Evening Herald Under 19 Division

Kilcock Celtic: 1

Kinnegad Juniors: 3

Kilcock started brightly and had their first opportunity in the fourth minute when Conor Dully‘s 20 yard pass found Shane O’Rourke on the edge of the box. O’Rourke released a left foot shot which skilled the top of the crossbar.

Both teams continued to swap chances until Kinnegad broke the deadlock on the half-hour mark. Gary Gildea put the visitors ahead after a fine through ball by Ciaran Fagan found the striker in space behind the Kilcock defence, where upon the forward calmly placed the ball past the Ryan O’Connell in the home goal.

Three minutes later Juniors doubled their lead when a cross from the right wing by Jay Gleeson deceived the home ‘keeper and dropped into the back of the net.

A minute before the break Cheevers made a fantastic save from O’Connor who surly though he had scored as he placed his shot from eight yards.

After the interval Kinnegad started very strongly and immediately put the pressure on the home defence with centre half pairing of Paddy Connell and Adam Leonard making some great tackles.

The home side soon settled and began creating some chances. They got one back on the 16th minute when John Graham set up O’Rourke whose low shot from the edge of the box slid past Cheevers.

Buoyed on by this Celtic went in search of the equaliser. They created a number of chances but could not breach a very strong defence well marshalled by Dean Gavin and Simon Giles. Daragh Lynch raided down the right wing and released Evan Treacy. Treacy skipped passed the first tackle and won a free kick on the edge of the box.

The newly introduced Eoin McArdle took the free kick quickly and the resulting shot crashed off the crossbar with Cheevers beaten. A minute later O’Rourke got on the end of a long throw-in and his spectacular volley from 20 yards rattled the crossbar.

Kinnegad always looked dangerous on the break and created a number of chances with quick counter attacks.

With ten minutes to go Conor Lawler beat Celtic’s keeper but Leonard cleared off the line.

Kilcock continued to search for the equaliser to the end but the visitors ended the contest when they got their third in 87th minute.

Simon Giles cleared the ball from his box. His long pass found Paul Metcalfe whose pass set up Gary Gildea who side footed passed the ‘keeper.

Kilcock Celtic:

Ryan O’Connell, Daragh Lynch, Gavin Byrne, Paddy O’Connell, Adam Leonard, Ian Mooney, John Graham, Conor Dully, Darren O’Connor, Shane O’Rourke, Evan Treacy, Jordan Hamilton Eoin McArdle, Michael Bambury, Evan Comerford.

Kinnegad Juniors:

John Cheevers, Dean Galvin, Simon Giles, Noel Baker, Conor Doolan, Ciaran Fagan, Michael Cole, Jay Gleeson, Brian O’Sullivan, Gary Gildea, Robert Gray, Paul Metcalfe, Conor Lawlor, Mathew Darcy.


Eric McCann.