Celtic stop Eleson in their tracks

Eleson United dropped three valuable points in their Tsports Premier Division title chase when they went down 4-2 to a very organised and hardworking midtable Kilcock Celtic at Scoil Dara on Sunday.

Eleson United dropped three valuable points in their Tsports Premier Division title chase when they went down 4-2 to a very organised and hardworking midtable Kilcock Celtic at Scoil Dara on Sunday.

Tsports Premier Division

Kilcock Celtic: 4

Eleson United: 2

It was the visitors who started the brighter and after just 8 minutes good link up play between Ciaran and Joe Bowers saw the latter cross left footed from the left wing. The ball eluded Brendan Noone and Sean Tighe in the Kilcock defence to find Joe Kenny at the far post but he shot tamely at the homeside’s netminder Paddy Connell from close range.

From Connell’s kick out Shane Fitzgerald beat Gary Tobin and Ciaran Bowers only to see his effort cleared for a corner by the Seanie Leeson in the Eleson defence.

It was Eleson who took the lead in the 15th minute when a through ball from Ciaran Bowers found Paul Swords, he skipped past the challenge of Wotjek Jurazs and Brendan Noone and placed his shot to the bottom left hand corner from 12 yds to give the kilmeague side the lead. Kilcock’s responce was swift and they were unlucky not to equalise when Shane Fitzgeralds free kick was narrowly wide soon after.

On 34 minutes Kilcock broke through the centre and Ciaran Tighe played a through ball to Eoghan O Muircheataigh who crossed from the right end line. Mark Munley was unmarked in front of goal but didn’t connect fully with his attempted overhead kick and Eleson defender Daniel Brady managed to clear off the line.

Midway through the half Eleson doubled their advantage. A long ball found Joe Bowers on the edge of the Kilcock penalty area. He rounded Sean Tighe with a clever turn and struck a sweet left footed shot past the despairing dive of Paddy Connell in the Kilcock goal. The score remained 2-0 to the visitors at the break.

The second half was to be a very different affair with Kilcock throwing everything at the visitors. On 48 minutes a cross from the left wing by Mark Munley was met at the far ppost by the inrushing Tadgh O Muircheataigh but his shot came back off the upright. However they did get one back five minutes after the restart when a long ball from Wotjek Jurazs was misjudged by the Eleson defence and found Shane Fitzgerald in space on the right wing. His first time cross was headed over the stranded Mark Curran in the visitors goal by Eoghan O Muircheataigh from close range. On 52 minutes Kilcock were level when O Muircheataigh again was played through and he placed the ball past the onrushing Curran into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

The next 20 minutes was end to end stuff but as defences tired in the hot and humid conditions chances started to appear. Kilcock took the lead with ten minutes remaining when a ball was played down the right by midfielder Ciaran Tighe his pin point cross to Ryan O Connell saw his strike steered past Eleson keeper Curran by his own defender Seanie Greville.

In the final minute Eleson keeper Mark Curran took down Brendan Noone, Noone dusted himself off and converted the spot kick to leave the final score 4-2 to Kilcock Celtic. Best for the winners, in what was an all round team perforance were Brendan Noone in defence, Shane Fitzgerald in midfield and Eoghan and Tadgh O Muircheataigh up front, while for a shell socked Eleson United Paul Swords, Shane Buckley and Sean Leeson did best.

Kilcock Celtic

Paddy Connell, Sean Tighe, Brendan Noone, Wotjek Jurazs, Colm White, Shane Fitzgerald, Ryan O Connell, Ciaran Tighe, Mark Munley, Eoghan O Muircheataigh, Tadgh O Muircheataigh, Mark Fitzgerald, Daragh Sayers, Stephen Farrelly, Conor Dully.

Eleson United

Mark Curran, Sean Leeson, Daniel Brady, Martin Myles, Vincent Swords, Gary Tobin, Ciaran Bowers, Shane Buckey, Gerry Kenny, Jow Bowers, Paul Swords, Kevin Harris, Sean Greville, Ross Maher, Vinny Byrne, Kevin Murphy.


Eric McCann.