Irish Water is being asked to replace the water main in Celbridge which recently burst and left large sections of the town without water for a days.
At the Kildare County Council Celbridge-Leixlip Municipal District meeting on January 18, Cllr Michael Coleman said the replacement of the pipe should be a priority, following a second major failure, since last July.
Last summer there was a severe burst on the main pipe going through Castletown estate, leading to shortages.
Recently a another burst occurred leaving many people in some areas of the town without water for three days.
Cllr Coleman said in the recent burst the Slip Hall at Castletown gates may have been seriously damaged if it were not for the intervention of Kildare Fire Services.
He said bursts will probably happen again as this was a very old pipe, installed, probably, in the 1960’s.
Cllr Coleman said Irish Water needed to put a plan in place to have a new pipeline.
The committee is to invite Irish Water to a meeting and raised questions over communications with the public, which, said Cllr Coleman, was very poor.
There was also criticism of the speed it took water tankers to get to the town following the water cut.
Cllr Brendan Young said that it was thought that last year’s burst might have been caused by shrinkage due to dry ground putting pressure on the pipe.
This time it may have been the root of trees which did the damage. “The pipe needs to be replaced,” he said.
Raising the question of an emergency crew to fix the pipe, Cllr Young said there needs to be a “a stepped up emergency response.”
He said that if this burst had happened in Dublin city centre there would probably be a crew working overnight.
Cllr Ide Cussen said the response time by Irish Water was poor.
It was clear on Sunday that 600 houses in St Raphael’s Manor and 700 in Oldtown Mill were affected, she said.
Cllr Bernard Caldwell said that it took a long time before water tankers arrived in the area.