Kildare man jailed for 12 months for child pornography possession

49 images were found in the possession of Castledermot man

Leader reporter

Reporter:

Leader reporter

Email:

editor@leinsterleader.ie

Kildare man jailed for 12 months for child pornography possession

The man was jailed at Athy Court last week

A former Castledermot man was handed a 12-month custodial sentence at Athy District Court last Tuesday for being in possession of 49 images relating to child pornography.

Christian Hennessy (45) with an address listed as Knockfield, Rathvilly, was before the court on charges dating back to October 2010.

The court heard that the defendant had 31 images in category one and 18 in category two.

Category one was described in court as being the more serious where the child, aged from 5 onwards is engaging in explicit sexual activity or witnessing sexual activity, while category two was the child with genitals exposed.

The images were found on the defendant’s work computer which was seized from VQuip, Main St, Castledermot, where the defendant worked in the family business at the time.

Detective Niall Bambrick gave evidence in court. He said that the defendant made an admission in relation to the images while being interviewed.

The court heard that the defendant had an addiction to child porn, with girls only, which he used for stimulation to pleasure himself.

He said that he was very sorry for his actions which have caused him to lose his job, be exiled from his family and become an outcast from his local community.

He has lost his house and is now working and living in the UK where he has sought help for his addiction to child pornography.

Judge Desmond Zaidan said that the offence was very serious.

“I hate to think about these children and the abuse they suffered in such a horrendous manner for the pleasure of this man on a regular basis,” he said.

“This abuse is vile — he wasn’t the man carrying out the act but without people like this man who gets sexual gratification there would not be a market for this barbaric abuse of children.”

He noted the guilty plea and the seven years it took for the case to come before the court but he said that did not reduce the significance of the incident.

“It has the same effect on the victims. It is beyond words. The children are the silent victims here.”

Judge Zaidan told the court that he was going to impose the maximum sentence possible.

“I am going to impose the maximum 12 month sentence. I would like to impose far more than the 12 months I am allowed to impose. It doesn’t get any worse than this.”

The defendant was given 12 months and recognisance in the event of an appeal was fixed at €2,000.