Newbridge Kildare Lions Club walk

Community event

Newbridge Kildare Lions Club walk

Club President, Morgan McCabe

The Newbridge Kildare Lions Club Annual Sponsored Schools Health Walk will take place next Sunday, 16 October on the Curragh Racecourse walking circuit.

Eleven schools from the area are taking part in this event. The club is expecting a great turnout with over 1,700 sponsor cards issued.

Club President, Morgan McCabe stated this sponsored event has been taking place for nearly 40 years.

“It is a very successful event organised by Lions Club member Greg Connelly which raises funds for both schools and the community,” he said. 

“It is great to see so many young people participating in a school and community support event. The funds raised are divided between the schools and the Lions Club with 70% of the sponsorship raised going directly back to each school the remaining 30% going to Newbridge Kildare Lions Club who use the money to assist those in this need in our community mostly with food and clothing.”

He pointed out the Newbridge Boy Scouts are to be commended for taking a very active role in in fundraising for this event. The Lions Club wish to thank the Civil Defence, the Order of Malta, the Gardaí, the Army and the Curragh racecourse for their assistance with this event.

“If you’re interested in joining the walk, you can join us at 2pm on the Curragh Plains just off the roundabout on the road to the Curragh camp. Please support any young people who come to you with sponsorship cards as all funds collected are put to very good use. ‘Where there is a Need there is a Lion’,” added Mr McCabe.



Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.