Plans have been submitted for a new primary school at the Piper’s Hill Campus, Kilcullen Road, Naas.
The new school will replace St. David’s primary school, situated just off the Dublin Road and opposite the Maxol filling station.
St. David’s school was originally constructed in the late 1800s but is no longer large enough to meet the demand for places.
The school’s roll book is pre-dominantly, though not exclusively, made up of members of the Church of Ireland community.
The new building is a split level building occupying over 1,000 square metres including 6 classrooms, a library, GP hall, toilets and ancillary facilities.
It’s not clear when Kildare County Council will decide but submissions from the public must be in by July 3.
The development will also include a new vehicle access road to the school from the existing campus road as well as revised arrangements for car parking, set down and turning.
When the existing school opened in 1890 it had two classrooms and a two more were built in 1992.
Ten years ago a prefab was added, which took away some play area.
The school has no designated secretary’s office and there is neither a principal’s office nor an adequate storage area.
- Paul O’Meara