Kildare man (19) charged with Athy murder

Naas Courthouse
A 19 year old man was charged with the murder of Jamie Lindsay (20) in Athy last Saturday night week.

A 19 year old man was charged with the murder of Jamie Lindsay (20) in Athy last Saturday night week.

Darren Wynne, 843 Ballyroe, Athy, appeared before Naas District Court this evening (Sunday April 14) shortly after 8.30pm, and was remanded in custody for the preparation of a book of evidence.

Det. Sgt. Sean Boland told Naas District Court that the defendant said “no reply” when he was charged about four hours before being taken to court.

He was charged with the murder of Mr. Lindsay at Coney Green, Coneyboro, Athy on April 6.

Supt. Joe Prendergast applied for the defendant, who turns 20 this month, to be remanded at St. Patrick’s Institution.

Judge Desmond Zaidan noted that because of the defendant’s age he would have to be remanded in detention rather than at a prison but this was a matter for the State to decide.

He granted free legal aid to the defendant, who was dressed in a dark blue Adidas hoodie with grey stripes, black track suit bottoms and runners and wore a necklace with black beads.

He spoke animatedly with his solicitor Conal Boyce before the hearing got underway, and said “keep your head up, don’t cry” to a group at the back of courtroom from where sobbing could be heard.

He spoke only twice during the 9 minute hearing, answering “yes” when asked by Judge Zaidan if he understood what was going on and “no” when asked if he had any questions.

The defendant is unemployed and in receipt of €100 per week.

Replying to Judge Zaidan, Mr. Boyce said the defendant is taking medication for depression.

Mr. Boyce said the defendant’s mother was in court.

Earlier in the day at Naas District Court investigating gardai were granted a court order permitting the detention of three people for a further 72 hours.

Chief. Supt. Michael Byrnes applied for the order to hold the two men and a woman under Section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act.

He told the court that investigations were continuing and additional time was needed to carry out examinations of both CCTV material and possible crime scenes.

Judge John Coughlan said he was satisfied the investigation was being conducted in a diligent and expeditious manner and the additional time requested was needed.