Citizens Information: Can I let someone else use my Disabled Parking Permit?

Know Your Rights: Advice and guidance from the Citizens Information Service

Citizens Information: Can I let someone else use my Disabled Parking Permit?

File photo

Question: Can my daughter use my Disabled Person’s Parking Permit if she is going to the shops for me?

Answer: A Disabled Person’s Parking Permit (also called EU Parking Card) is only issued to a person with a disability. The permit shows the name and photograph of the person it has been issued to. Your daughter cannot use your Disabled Person’s Parking Permit unless you are with her.

Only you can use it. However, you can use your permit for any vehicle you are travelling in, either as a driver or as a passenger.

This means that if you are being driven at different times by different people you can bring the parking permit and display it in whichever vehicle you are using. So, if your daughter is driving you, she can use it to park her car in a disabled person’s parking space.

The permit allows you to use the public parking spaces assigned for vehicles being used by a person with a disability. These spaces or parking bays have the wheelchair symbol painted on the ground or have a sign with the wheelchair symbol displayed. Most accessible parking bays are located near amenities such as shops, post offices and schools.

Car parking spaces with the wheelchair symbol are usually wider than most other car parking spaces to allow drivers or passengers with a disability to get from their car seat to their wheelchair. If you travel to any EU country with your parking permit you can park in a disabled person’s parking space or bay.

The Disabled Person’s Parking Permit is administered by the Disabled Drivers Association of Ireland (DDAI) and the Irish Wheelchair Association (IWA).

Both organisations provide detailed information on how to use and apply for the Disabled Person’s Parking Permit. In Ireland, an EU parking permit is issued for two years. 

During the Covid-19 pandemic, you can find comprehensive integrated information online at and you can get daily updates on what’s changed on Twitter at @citizensinfo. You can also get information and advice from:

Citizens Information Centres are currently not open to drop-in callers.

You can contact your local centre by phone or email for information and advice.

Information Officers are available to you at your local Citizens Information Service:

l Newbridge CIC Telephone: 0761 07 8300

l Maynooth CIC Telephone: 0761078100

You can also get information and advice from: The Citizens Information Phone Service: Call 0761 07 4000, Monday to Friday, 9am – 8pm.

Our national call back service: Visit back to request a phone call from an Information Officer.

A limited number of appointments are being made in Citizens Information Centres offices where social distancing can be facilitated. You can continue to contact your local centre by email or phone using the details in the Find a Centre page on