Athy in full control against Carbury

COUNTY champions Athy made it two wins from two on Saturday when they comfortably beat a depleted Carbury side in Carbury on a 1-12 to 0-4.

COUNTY champions Athy made it two wins from two on Saturday when they comfortably beat a depleted Carbury side in Carbury on a 1-12 to 0-4.

Athy: 1-12

Carbury: 0-4

Stephen Darby’s Carbury, who finished with 14 men, were without eleven players that started the county final back in October due to a local stag party and it certainly showed. They could only manage two points during the opening 30 minute period and the same after the turnaround as Athy dominated throughout. The side from the south of the county led 1-5 to 0-2 at the interval with their goal coming from Kevin Feely five minute before the break.

Athy opened the scoring in the first minute when Cian Reynolds converted a free but they had to wait some 14 minutes for another score due to their very poor shooting. Athy should have been well in front but five wides ensured otherwise and Carbury, through Sean Kelly, restore parity in the 13th minute.

Carbury goalkeeper Noel Kenna was in fine form and had it not been for him perhaps the final gap would have been wider. At the midway point of the opening half Kenna made a superb save from a Danny O’Keeffe but Ken Brophy was on hand to send the loose ball over the bar and put Athy in to a 0-2 to 0-1 lead.

The home side were reduced to 14 men soon after when Sean Kelly received a straight red card for a bad challenge on Ross Bell out on the right sideline and thereafter Athy took complete control and this time made it count on the scoreboard.

Cian Reynolds knocked over a free on 22 minutes before Bohemians star Kevin Feely struck to the net. Feely collected possession from O’Keeffe and his superb strike sailed passed Kenna to give his side a 1-3 to 0-2 advantage.

Points from Darroch Mulhall and Danny O’Keeffe gave Mark Brophy’s side a comfortable 1-5 to 0-2 interval lead.

After the break there was no let up from the county champions and Danny O’Keeffe added to their advantage just two minutes in when he fisted over. Three in a row from Cian Reynolds stretched Athy’s lead to ten before Willy Groome and David Cash (free) responded for the home side.

That was as good as it got for Carbury though and Athy finished out the game with points from Danny O’Keeffe (two) and substitute Emmanuel Kennedy.


Athy – Cian Reynolds 0-5 (2f), Danny O’Keeffe 0-4, Kevin Feely 1-0, Ken Brophy 0-1, Darroch Mulhall 0-1, Emmanuel Kennedy 0-1.

Carbury – David Cash 0-2 (1f), Sean Kelly 0-1, Will Groome 0-1.


James Roycroft; Luke Thomas, David McGovern, Conor Ronan; Ross Bell, Joe Kinahan, David Holligan; Liam McGovern, Kevin Feely; Danny O’Keeffe, Cian Reynolds, Hughie Mahon; Sean Ronan, Darroch Mulhall, Ken Brophy. Subs: Eddie Delahunt replaced R Bell 30 mins, Adrian Kelly replaced K Brophy HT, Emmanuel Kennedy replaced L McGovern 45 mins, David O’Toole replaced C Reynolds 47 mins, Shane O’Brien replaced D Holligan 50 mins.


Noel Kenna; Kevin O’Neill, David Cummins, Thomas Fox; Kevin Cronly, Darren Moore, Stephen McKeon; David Cash, Willy Groome; Michael Kelly, Conleth Daniels, Kenny McNamera; Dermot Moore, Derrick Fleming, Sean Kelly. Subs: Brian O’Flaherty replaced C Daniels HT, Liam Holt replaced Dermot Moore HT, John O’Reilly replaced D Fleming 43 mins.


Nicky Conlon.