Late flurry sees Two Mile House take title

It took until the final ten minutes for Two Mile House to finally shake off a persistent Sallins side in this Under 21 B Shield final last Saturday, writes Tara Byrne.

It took until the final ten minutes for Two Mile House to finally shake off a persistent Sallins side in this Under 21 B Shield final last Saturday, writes Tara Byrne.

Under 21 B Shield Final

Two Mile House: 0-13

Sallins: 0-10

After being reduced to 14 men after 14 minutes of play, it looked as it wouldn’t be Sallins’ day, conceding six points without reply. It took Sallins all of ten minutes to manage to get to grips with Two Mile House’s extra player, but once they did the numerical advantage went almost unnoticed.

It took seven minute for either side to open the scoring Sallins raising the white flag first with Conor Herbert hit the first of five frees.

Moments later he hit his second sending Sallins two points clear. Two Mile House managed to get the ball into the Sallins half on many occasions only for a combination of poor finishing mixed with dedicated Sallins defending preventing Two Mile House from getting onto the score sheet for the opening twelve minutes. Their first coming by way of a free by Chris Julian.

Minutes later the game was to turn on its head with Justin McLoughlin seeing red for an off the ball strike on Mark Sherry, referee Tony Doyle taking very little time in deciding on the red card.

After this Two Mile House had took full advantage of their numerical difference hitting five points in seven minutes without reply. Ben Merrins levelling the score before a Chris Healy brace sent Two Mile House two points clear Chris Julian and Alan Coady also pointed to leave Sallins firmly on the back foot.

A point from play from Herbert stopping the rut for Sallins. The ball skipping over the head of Nathan Sherry and into the hands of the waiting Herbert who dually obliged cutting the deficit to three points.

Three more points from Sallins before the break had to sides level at half time. The last point coming from the boot of Mark Donnelly after three minutes of constant Sallins pressure.

The second half was a tentative affair with both sides hitting point for point for the majority of the half. Two Mile House the first to point with Healy pointing a free from all of 40 yards from goal along the left side-line, the Sallins reply coming by way of a fourth Herbert free. It then fell to Merrins to edge Two Mile House narrowly back into the lead, this time it was Eoghan Ennis upsetting the Two Mile House party, as 14 man Sallins defied the odds and consistently brought the game to them.

William Burke and Jamie Cox traded further points before Herbert stepped up to hit his fifth and final free of the day to send Sallins into the lead for the first time in 40 minutes with only eight minutes on the clock.

A third Merrins point had the sides level for a sixth time before Two Mile House took control of the game yet again. Chris Healy sending his side into the lead before Julian tagged on another free leaving it to Healy to round off the scoring with his fifth point. After dispossessing keeper Daniel Sweeney he was quickest to react gathering possession in front of an empty goal only a slip preventing him from keeping his shot down and it flew over the bar, leaving Two Mile House emerge victorious.


Daniel Sweeney; Philip Corley, Gary Lane, TJ Gordon; Rory O’Dómhnail, Matt Corley, Stephen Maher; Emmet Ralph, Mark Donnelly 0-1; Jack Sharkey 0-1, Justin McLoughlin, Eoghan Ennis 0-1; Jamie Cox 0-1, Conor Herbert 0-6 (5f), Craig Hughes. Subs: Eoin Messit for Hughes, 32; Seán Corley for O’Dómhnail, 46.

Two Mile House:

Matt Sheridan; Stephen Fitzharris, Glen Burke, Robbie Maye; Jake Burke, Nathan Sherry, Joe D’arcy; Mark Sherry, William Burke 0-1; Darragh Horgan, Ben Merrins 0-3, Alan Coady 0-1; Chris Julian 0-3 (3f), Michael Woods, Chris Healy 0-5 (2f). Subs: Andrew McGrath for Healy, 40.


Tony Doyle