Shortie goal sets up Allenwood for victory

ALLENWOOD secured their senior status for another year when they beat St Kevin’s in the relegation semi final at Naas on Friday evening last, writes Ruth Chambers.

ALLENWOOD secured their senior status for another year when they beat St Kevin’s in the relegation semi final at Naas on Friday evening last, writes Ruth Chambers.

MDY Construction Senior Football Championship Relegation Semi Final

Allenwood: 2-9

St Kevin’s: 0-10

Goals in either half from former Kildare goalkeeper Shane McCormack and Kenneth Swords were the vitals scores as The Wood secured a five point victory over Gordon Ward’s charges, who now have one game left to save their skin.

This game was a tight affair up until the last minute of the first half when Shorty McCormack hit the back of Keith Fitzharris’ net and ensured a 1-5 to 0-5 lead for the team in blue at the interlude.

With just 22 second played in the second half Allenwood once again had the ball in the back of the Kevin’s net and from there on in Gordon Ward’s side were facing an up hill battle and ultimately a battle they lost.

Allenwood got the scoring underway in this encounter just three minutes in when Johnny Doyle converted a free from close range but it was cancelled out by a Barry Noone point from play, which restored early parity.

The Blues shooting could have been a lot better and indeed they hit eight wides in the first half but they did get their noses back in front by the eleventh minute when Doyle split the posts again, this time from play, to leave the score at 0-2 to 0-1.

By the 17th minute Kevin’s, who were dominating the possession stakes, had turned it around to lead 0-3 to 0-2 thanks to points from Barry Noone (45) and Seanie Johnston. However, three on the trot from the opposition left Allenwood leading 0-5 to 0-3 by the 21st minute.

When Barry Noone sent over a free from 40 metres out in the 24th minute Kevin’s only trailed by the minimum but it was soon to be a four point deficit. A ball from Jonathan Byrne picked out Shane McCormack and he hit the ball low to the net seconds after a Kevin’s attack broke down and left Allenwood leading 1-5 to 0-5 at the break.

By the sixth minute of the new half Allenwood had opened up a eight point (2-7 to 0-5) advantage thanks to a goal from Swords and point from Davy Hughes and Doyle (free).

Indeed Kevin’s were outscored 1-4 to 0-5 in the second and always played second fiddle to the opposition.

By the end of the third quarter Allenwood led 2-9 to 0-6 and even though Barry Noone added two frees, Michael Kenny pointed and Antoine Carew got in on the scoring act it wasn’t enough for the Staplestown side.


Allenwood, Johnny Doyle 0-4 (4f), Kenneth Swords 1-1, Shane McCormack 1-1, Davy Hughes 0-1, Jonathan Byrne 0-1, Tom Byrne 0-1 (1 ’45’).

St Kevin’s, Barry Noone 0-6 (1 ‘45’, 4f), Seanie Johnston 0-1, Cathal O’Leary 0-1, Michael Kenny 0-1, Antoine Carew 0-1.


Ernie Price; Morgan O’Callaghan, Mike Mullen, Michael McCormack; Stephen Conlon, Cormac Sullivan, Mark Hogarty; Johnny Doyle, Tom Byrne; Davy Hughes, Jonathan Byrne, Shane McCormack; Kenneth Swords, Noel Casey, Mark Banham. Subs: Darragh Johnson replaced M O’Callaghan 38 mins, Joey Carroll replaced M Banham 44 mins, David Burke replaced S McCormack 56 mins.

St Kevin’s:

Keith Fitzharris; Mark Grace, Jason Brosnan, Dean O’Regan; Damien Reilly, Thomas Barron, Patrick Walshe; Cathal O’Leary, Michael Kenny; Cormac Noone, Seanie Johnston, Brian Dunne; Barry Noone, Mark Fitzharris, Patrick Curtain. Subs: Antoine Carew replaced P Curtain HT, Declan Flaherty replaced D Reilly 38 mins, John Fitzharris replaced C Noone 43 mins, Darren Fox replaced M Fitzharris 46 mins, Trevor McDonald replaced P Walshe 56 mins.


Fergal Barry (Monasterevin).