Ballykelly get better of St. Kevins in a thriller

19-04-2013 Dermot Lawler presents Ballykelly captain James Ebbs with the trophy after defeating St Kevins in the Feile under 14 feile C Shield final at Hawfield.Picture: Adrian Melia
U14 Feile C shield final

U14 Feile C shield final

Ballykelly 3-7 St Kevin’s 3-4

Ballykelly dominating the early exchanges on this Feile C Shield final on Friday night, played in Hawkfield but not getting reward for their scores.

Calvin Dunne struck first for Ballykelly in this Feile C Shield final on Friday night, played in Hawkfield, a neat finish for a goal and Cian Stafford added a point soon after.

St Kevins began to settle late onand points from Gary Kelly (2) and Ciaran Smith brought them close. Ballykelly goalkeeper Paddy Nichols was called into action twice in a matter of moments as he somehow kept out firstly a goal bound shot from St Kevin’s Daithi Marron from just under the crossbar and just after the same player took a shot that took a slight deflection and Paddy got his legs to it. Referee John Knight blew the whistle for half time with the minimum between the sides. Ballykelly 1-1 St Kevins 0-3

The second half began brightly for St Kevins with a goal from corner forward Liam Aspel. Ballykelly’s Daniel Allen converted a point. Midfielder James Ebbs was dominating around the middle third and a neat pass from Cian Stafford sent him racing through and he unleashed an unstoppable shot to find the net. A further point from corner forward Cillian Ures put Ballykelly 3 points ahead again.

St Kevin’s hit back with goals from Cormac Ward and Gary Kelly left Ballykelly 3 behind again. Ballykelly came at the St Kevin’s defence and got level with three frees courtesy of ace corner forward Cillian Ures Maher.

Ballykelly keeper Paddy Nichols was called into action with a superb stop from under his crossbar.

Ballykelly dug deep and in a three minute spell it was Lawler that firstly burst through the middle unleashing a thunderous shot to the roof of the net. The ball was kicked out and James Ebbs collected it in midfield, fed in Lawler again with him taking a point with the coolest of finishes.

Ballykelly suddenly found themselves 4 points ahead with time almost up. St Kevin’s responded and could count themselves a little unlucky as they failed to convert a couple of chances as time ticked down. The final whistle blew shortly after to rapturous scenes from the players, mentors and supporters. Both sides can be proud of their display and will surely meet in plenty of finals in the coming years.


Paddy Nichols, Oisin Jackson, Jordan Higgins, Kyle Hyland, Liam Allen, Jamie Gammell, Dara Lovern, Cian Stafford 0-1, James Ebbs (captain) 1-0, Calvin Dunne 1-0, Josh Lawler 1-1, Daniel Allen 0-1, Brian Day, Alan O’Connell, Cillian Ures Maher 0-4, Chris Havens, Nathan Clarke, Jack Smith, Micheal O’ Donohoe, Robert Harrison, Alan Farrell

Manager: Paul Pender

Selector: Dermot Lawler, Jerry Allen


St. Kevins’s

Aaron Fox, Cathal Walsh, Seán Hanafey, Eoin Disney, Seán Byrne, Tadhg Fitzgibbon, Aaron Cullen, Ciarán Smyth, Cormac Ward, Shane O’ Conor, Gary Kelly, Ciarán Casey, Liam Aspell, Daithí Marron, Ryan Ward, Alex Connolly, Thomas Fallon, Edwin Bendroff, Joshua Lee, Colm Sharkey.