Gardai issue warning over Christmas spending
Gardai have warned the public to take care when buying Christmas gifts online in the run up Christmas. According to official statistics €41 billion spent worldwide on Credit & Debit Cards issued in Ireland in 2016. The gardai have produced a list of "Do's and Dont's" to keep in mind when shoppig online.
Only buy from trusted sources, shops or brands that you are familiar with
Use credit cards when purchasing things online
Make sure the data transfer is appropriately protected. Look for the padlock symbol Think twice before allowing e-merchant stores to store your payment details
Be aware how to control the recurring charge if paying for a continuous service online
Always save all documents related to your online purchases.
• If you are not buying a specific product or service, don’t submit your card details
• Avoid doing your online shopping at sites that don’t use full authentication
• Never send your Card number, PIN or any other card information to anyone by email
• When purchasing something online from another person, do not send money up front
• Never send your card details in an unencrypted email
• Don’t send money to anyone you don’t know online