Patsy Kelly Naas assault sentencing adjourned

Legal argument

Leinster Leader reporter

Reporter:

Leinster Leader reporter

Email:

editor@leinsterleader.ie

Patsy Kelly assault sentencing adjourned in Dublin

Patsy (Bud) Kelly

The sentencing of a man, who was cleared of the manslaughter of Patsy (Bud) Kelly, but pleaded guilty to assault causing harm, was adjourned at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court today, November 20.

Paul Gill, of Sarto Road, Naas appeared before the court, however the case was adjourned due to concerns about the content of the victim impact statement on behalf of the Kelly family.

Last month, the Kildare father was found not guilty of the manslaughter of Mr Kelly in August 2015.

The court previously heard that Mr Kelly died following an incident near Mr Gill’s home at Sarto Road after being assaulted by the defendant.

It followed complaints about late night drinking and anti-social behaviour at a nearby house for several years.

Gill, also pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to a friend of Mr Kelly's during the same incident.

Today, the matter was adjourned to December 11 after Mr Gill's defence team took issue with an element of the victim impact statement.

It's understood there has been a change in the law regarding these statements.

There was an initial short adjournment to see if the family would consent to changing the statement.

Agreement could not be reached, it came back before the judge, and the matter was adjourned.

Judge Melanie Greally said she hoped the Kelly family did not feel that justice was not being done but said she had to stay within the law as it stands.

“We will do our best to accommodate the Kelly family in so far as the law permits because of the particular circumstances of the case,” she said.