Detectives based at Naas garda station have launched an investigation into the weekend stabbing incident at Monread which left a local teenager needing hospital treatment for knife wounds.
No arrests had been made by the time the Leinster Leader went to press.
A 15 year old local youth was brought to Tallaght Hospital by ambulance shortly after 4pm on Saturday, April 12, after he was attacked by a knife wielding youth in Monread Heights.
The Leader understands that the youth, a Naas CBS student, who comes from a highly respected local family with strong sporting links, is getting better and will make a full recovery.
Gardai sealed off two areas, one outside a semi detached bungalow and a second on a public area some yards away, in the aftermath of the incident.
For a time traffic restriction were imposed along the road where the assault occurred.
Naas Deputy Mayor Ger Dunne, who lives about 100 yards from the scene, insists that the Monread area is safe and this is more likely to be a “once off incident”.
The sound of emergency vehicle sirens alerted him to the crime.
He told the Leader: “We are all shocked and saddened that this could happen, especially in broad daylight because it’s not an area associated with this kind of thing.”
He added that Monread is a safe and peaceful place for the many people who live in and visit the area.
“The town council has done a lot of work to enhance the amenity value of the park, like upgrading facilities for children and putting in new lights. This is a well kept area and it is well used by all kinds of people including children going to the playground, people walking or running and others who walk their dogs.”
Cllr. Dunne stated: “Nothing like this has happened before and we’re grateful it wasn’t more serious.”
There has been a previous request for an increased garda presence because of anti social behaviour around Hallowe’en but he said the situation had greatly improved.
“I don’t believe there is a need for an increased garda presence in Monread,” said the Deputy Mayor.