Soccer legend in Clane hotel evacuation

Emergency Services working at the Westgrove Hotel.  Photo: Clane Town Facebook.
Soccer legend Johnny Giles was due to attend Westgrove Hotel on Saturday night, but the event was called off after a fire broke out in a store room next to the underground car park.

Soccer legend Johnny Giles was due to attend Westgrove Hotel on Saturday night, but the event was called off after a fire broke out in a store room next to the underground car park.

He was due to take part in the 40th anniversary celebrations of Clane United, the local soccer club.

There were 200 guests were at a drinks reception prior to the main event, plus another 300 people staying at the hotel.

The manager of the hotel, Gerry Russell said that there is “no indication what started the fire”.

He explained that as a matter of procedure, the gas supply to the hotel, which is used in both heating and cooking, had to be switched off.

“We’re usually very busy on Friday and Saturday nights and all of the rooms were full, but we just couldn’t go ahead with it.

“But the main thing was that everybody was safe and nobody was hurt - and people were able to stay the night and have breakfast the following morning no problem.”