NEWBRIDGE Town Councillors expressed their outrage in the lack of progress with the eagerly awaited new pedestrian bridge over the railway station on Station Road.
Cllr Micheal ‘Spike’ Nolan, who raised the motion to keep the new pedestrian bridge on the agenda, said he was ‘extremely disappointed’ with the lack of progress.
“It is not good enough,” he said. “We were told two years ago that the bridge would be well finished by now.”
Cllr Pat Black described it as the ‘biggest disappointment’ adding that the bridge was supposed to be finished by December, 2010. “It has created huge embarrassment as that information was given to us and we departed it to the general public,” he said. “There would be 265 kids up there on a Saturday morning training at Sarsfields. It is frustrating - what about the safety of these kids?” Councillors heard that Irish Rail have since announced that they will start work on the bridge next week and it will be a six month contract.“We are told last year that Santy would be able to walk over the bridge in time for Christmas,” said Cllr Fiona O’Loughlin.