Father and son flee house after second shooting

Gardai are continuing their investigation into a drive-by shooting last week at a house in the Church View housing estate in Suncroft.

Gardai are continuing their investigation into a drive-by shooting last week at a house in the Church View housing estate in Suncroft.

The shooting took place on Monday night, May 14, at 10.15pm. This was the second time the house was shot at in less than a week. This time, unlike the first shooting, the house was unoccupied and the two shots were fired directly at a downstairs window from a hand gun.

The council house has since been boarded up and the residents, a father and son, have vacated the premises.

Sgt Paul Pender of Kildare Garda Station confirmed to the Leinster Leader that gardai believe the incident is linked to a debt. “We are still conducting enquiries,” he said.

Neighbours in the sleepy village of Suncroft were tight-lipped about the incident on Friday last but described the father as a “terrific neighbour”.

“I was at the bingo both times,” said an elderly neighbour who lives nearby and wished to remain nameless. “He was a terrific neighbour but I keep to myself.”

A second neighbour said that the family kept to “themselves” adding that Church View is not a “tight knit community”. “We saw the garda car,” he said wishing to remain anonymous. “I wouldn’t even know the family - just the father really. They keep to themselves. They say he is gone but nobody really knows what is happening.”

Another resident, who also wished to withhold his name, described the father as a “terrible nice fella”. “He is gone now and nobody knows where he is gone,” he said. “He plays a bit of music and is very talented. He loved it around here.”

Sgt John Flaherty of Kildare Garda station said one shot went through the window and the other hit the area around the window.

“We are carrying out door to door inquires and CCTV is being examined in respect to a few premises. Certain people in the area heard a few shots and house is boarded up at the moment.”

Gardai are actively investigating the incident which is linked to the earlier shooting on Tuesday, May 8 last.

A man approached a house in the estate around 9.35pm and proceeded to fire a random shot at the front door.

The man was described as wearing a grey hoody and tracksuit bottoms. A father and son were in the house at the time of the shooting.

“We haven’t identified this man yet,” said Sgt Seamus Rothwell of Newbridge Garda Station last week. “Suncroft is a country area so he probably got away in a car.”