THE will of a one time famous owner of the Salmon Leap pub in Leixlip, Richard Guinness, was seen recently by historian in the Irish National Archives.
The Leap, just re-opened, was once run by Richard, the brother of Arthur Guinness, founder of the Guinness brewing business.
Local historian John Colgan came across Richard’s will in the National Archives just recently.
Arthur, who along with his younger brother, Richard, had been in the brewing business in Leixlip since 1755, when he was 30, moved to set up at St. James Gate in 1759.
Richard, may have ran these from 1763 until around 1806, according to Arthur’s biographer, Patrick Guinness.
Whatever he owned, Richard, died relatively wealthy in 1829.
Mr. Colgan said he died in Mercer Street probably in Mercer’s Hospital, on 10 September, 1829, in his early 80s then. He lived at the time at Stillorgan, County Dublin.
In his Will he left legacies to his wife, Mary, and to his eight daughters.
He had no sons apparently.
In his will (Folio No.495, in the Irish Will Register, 1828-1829, (NAI), made on 18 January 1828, he left a total of £4,957-5s-11d, quite an amount at the time, which based on average wages would be the equivalent of €4.7m today.
His house and goods were valued at £381 19s 5d. Leases were worth £726 and other securities were valued a £3,849 6s 6d
He left £1,000 each to his daughters then living: Jane, Mary, Frances, Elizabeth, Henrietta and Sarah, two of whom were married.