The upgrading project at the Church of Our Lady and St. David, Naas, has been just about completed and the rededication ceremony will be led by recently appointed Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin Denis Nulty.
It takes place on November 24 at noon and all are invited to attend the ceremony.
A number of venues around the town have been used as the refurbishment gathered pace, including Naas CBS and the former Nuns’ Chapel, off Sallins Road.
The closure was in force for the past 4 months or so and roofing repairs were carried out along with the repointing and rerendering of external walls. The project also embraced the conservation and repair or reconstruction of leaded and stained glass windows, internal work and redecoration.
A degree of inconvenience was inevitable as the work was planned and conducted.
The decision to upgrade the church was made in 2009 and it started with a pre-planning meeting with Naas Town Council, the planning authority.
Work was originally to have taken place in 2012 but fourteen wedding ceremonies had been booked and the parish decided that these must be honoured.
The church building dates back to 1827 and the spire, which measures 60 metres and dominates the local skyline, was added in 1828.
The most recent renovations occurred in 1985 to make ensure that the church layout conformed with a of the second Vatican Council - essentially a modernising doctrine. The most recent renovations became necessary after a report on the building highlighted leaks and faults with mechanical and electrical services that did not comply with standards. It was also necessary because the church is a protected structure.