Every week since April 1952 Naas Farmer’s Market has been a treasure trove of delicious treats for the townspeople.
And last Friday morning, April 13, there was a festive atmosphere at the Town Hall where the ladies of the Farmer’s Market celebrated their 60th anniversary.
Many dressed in 1950s dress while one member, Karen Plewman, took up a position in the front hall and entertained everyone with songs from the 1950s.
The markets were not always in the Town Hall. According to Cathy Fisher, a member for the past 47 years, it started off in the back yard of the Town Hall.
From there it moved to Chapel Lane before spending some time behing Keenans’ and John’s Hall.
There was also time spent in the Moate Theatre while the Town Hall was being renovated.
The market is run by Country Markets Ltd, which issues all participants with a number.
It uses, Ms. Fisher explained, a tracibility system on its produce invented before tracibility systems were fashionable! The market was originally started as a way finding an outlet for surplus produce from a farm, to be prepared by the housewife.
“That was back in the time when we weren’t allowed to work,” Margaret Gillespie told the Leinster Leader.
And to this day, most of the participants come from a farming background - and come from all over the county, and even further afield. There are members from Naas, and surrounding areas, but also from Athy, Hollywood and Ballymore Eustace. Christmas and Easter are still the busiest time of the year.
“We take orders for cakes, and at times it gets very very busy,” Ms. Gillespie explained.