Family angered by stabbing portrayal

The mother of a stabbing victim in Newbridge has “strongly rejected” the version of events put forward by gardai last week.

The mother of a stabbing victim in Newbridge has “strongly rejected” the version of events put forward by gardai last week.

The 18 year old Newbridge man remains in hospital and at one stage it looked as if he would not survive the stabbing. The man believed to have carried out the stabbing was questioned by gardai, and was later released without charge. A file on the matter has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

The stabbing victim’s mother said there was never any intention of the youths attempting to gain entry into the College Farm Green house where the incident took place. “My son is not a burglar,” his mother said.

She added that her son and three other friends had been on a night out and were staying near where the stabbing occurred. There had been a dispute over the sale of a motorbike, she claimed, and on the night of the incident, one of the group decided to confront a man in the house, when they saw a light on as they passed, to resolve the matter.

The mother of the victim accepted that it was not wise to have gone to the house in the early hours of the morning - at approximately 5 am. “I one hundred and fifty per cent accept they were foolish - they were bloody little idiots,” the mother said.

“It was a ridiculously stupid thing to do. But I am not happy with the garda approach,” the Newbridge woman added.

It was also denied that any weapons were brought to the house where the stabbing took place, and that a snooker cue found at the scene was in the lawn, prior to the arrival of the four youths.

“I am most certain and definite that no weapons were brought there,” the victim’s mother said.

The mother said she was absolutely shocked in the early hours of the morning when her son’s friends ran to her house to say he had been stabbed.

It was then touch and go whether her son would survive, the mother outlined. She added that the staff at Naas General Hospital were unsure whether he would survive and a full trauma team worked to save him. “They were monitoring him by the minute,” she recalled, as they tried to stabilise him. He lost 1.1 litres of blood on the night, and they was some debate as to whether he would be transferred to St James’ Hospital in Dublin. The youth also suffered a broken rib from the stabbing.

The Newbridge man was transferred to the Dublin hospital on Monday after it emerged that there was a clot and fluid around his heart.

As well as the physical injuries suffered by the youth, he was in hospital for his girlfriend’s graduation dance and was unable to attend his own, shortly after that. He is currently waiting on his Leaving Certificate results and hopes to go to college shortly.

Since then the family have engaged their own solicitor and the mother said she is prepared to take the matter up with the Garda Ombudsman. “I am prepared to do this over the treatment of my son. I totally understand that the gardai have a job to do, but I feel it was very, very unfair the way it was portrayed in the news”.

The mother described her son as “a good kid”. Speaking of the ordeal, she said: “This is your worst nightmare - to see your child stabbed”.

The garda press office was contacted by the Leinster Leader but a spokesperson said they were not in a position to comment on an ongoing investigation.